The life and times of an Arizona Investor

This will be my personal journal to document my failures and successes during my real estate experiences in Arizona. All stories, thoughts, and successes will be documented..

Friday, April 01, 2005

People's lives can be screwed up!

I talk to a lot of pre-foreclosure sellers, and there lives can be very interesting.

Case in point, I've been persistent on contacting this particular seller because she owns a condo just a couple of houses down from mine. She called me originally from one of my bandit signs. She called me right after she heard that her daughter attempted suicide the day before! I told her maybe she should wait to talk about the house, but she insisted that talking about the house would keep her mind off the tragedy. So she wasn't in the best mood.

After the initial conversation, we scheduled a time to meet. She needed to reschedule and we've spent about a week doing phone tag. I finally got ahold of her today. She tells me that her ex-husband has some type of lien on the property and says he doesn't deserve anything since he beat her all the time. So, not only is she in pre-foreclosure, she just got divorced and her husband wants to jack with her.

This one is going to be difficult!

Good investing
|| Bginvestor, 8:12 PM

3 Comments:

Wow. Good luck with that one, B.

BTW, there is a chapter in The Weekend Millionaire's Guide to Real Estate Investing that has an example of a very similar scenario (and how they dealt with it). The scenario in the book has the man & wife as divorced, but the man is the one who got the short end of the stick. The wife remarried a rich guy and hung onto the property out of spite. The author decided to make it a 3-way-win situation, and it turned out great for everybody. Maybe look at that book and see if it can help you with this situation.
Blogger Steve, at 6:34 AM  
Steve,

Read it! Awesome book!

Thanks,

Brian
Blogger Bginvestor, at 2:41 PM  
I agree. The best book I've found that deals with negotiation techniques.
Blogger Steve, at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

$2.95 a month web hosting